Commercial Property

Commercial Property Solicitors

Whether you are a landlord or a tenant, a seller or a buyer, your deals are high profile, multi-million-pound deals, or smaller, more straightforward transactions, our commercial property team have the expertise required to provide you with the best advice and service in relation to your transaction.

What we do:

  • Sales and purchase of land and property, both freehold & leasehold
  • New commercial leases for both landlords and tenants
  • Lease renewals, for landlords and tenants
  • Site acquisition, disposal and development
  • New developments, including site set up on commercial land
  • Overage agreements
  • Option agreements
  • Deeds of easement
  • Auction sales and purchases
  • Secured lending
  • Pre-emption agreements
  • Licence and consents
  • Landlord & Tenant Act

FAQ - Commercial Properties

My landlord is not carrying out his responsibilities, what should I do?

Speak to our specialist property team, we will help you to decide what kind of action to take.

What are the most important terms you should look out for in a lease?Section

1. How long the lease is and what are the options if you decide to leave the premises before the lease comes to an end.

2. What costs you will incur including rent and any service charges.

3. Your responsibilities for repairing and maintaining the premises.

4. Any restrictions imposed on you if you decide to make any alterations to the premises.

5. What the premises can be used for.

What are commercial property standard enquiries?

Commercial Property Standard Enquiries (CPSEs) are a set of standard pre-contract enquiries responses of which are provided to the buyer (or tenant, if leasing) to ask a seller (or landlord) about the property which will help a buyer or tenant decide the value of the property and whether they want to purchase or lease the property.

It is important not to rely on CPSEs as an alternative to inspecting the property yourself. The CPSEs are just an additional way to find out more about the property, and should be used alongside all other relevant property searches, which includes obtaining a surveyor’s report.

Is Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) payable on commercial property?

When you buy any property, you need to pay Stamp Land Duty Tax if the purchase price (or the premium for the lease) exceeds the relevant threshold.

When you obtain a lease of a commercial or mixed property through assignment, you’ll need to pay SDLT on the price of the lease.

However, if you obtain a new lease for a commercial or mixed property, the amount of SDLT will depend on the amount of premium you pay and any rent due. For more information on what SDLT will be payable on your purchase of a lease, contact our specialist commercial property solicitors.

What is a break clause and do I need one in my lease?

A break clause allows either or both parties to bring the lease to an end earlier than the lease expiry date. Usually a period of notice must be given to exercise the break

(typically 6 months) and sometimes a tenant exercising a break option will have to pay a penalty for doing so. Any new business taking on a lease should consider negotiating a break option with the landlord to provide flexibility to get out of the lease obligations earlier if the new business does not work out as anticipated.



With over 15 years experience, Shyam has dealt with complex matters in Banking, Corporate and Commercial Law. He is best placed to dissect any matters ranging from loans above £50m to properties and finance up to £400m ensuring the transactions are achieved.


Lena Thakrar

Lena has over 10 years experience in commercial property and has acted for a variety of clients dealing with matters including commercial real estate transactions, single properties, shopping centres and multi let schemes.

Client Reviews

Commercial Property Solicitors
Let us take it from here

Call us on the number below or complete the form and one of our team will be in touch.

020 3475 6751